Sunday, January 25, 2009

Gone Country-Season 3 Premiere

Gone Country premieres with a cast that I barely recognize and the only reason why I am watching it this time around is that I happened to see Justin Guarini on the commercials. You know Justin from Idol fame, second runner up to Kelly Clarkson and co-star of famed flopped movie "From Justin to Kelly"? This I am interested in seeing. Justin Guarini a country singer? I think not! With the exception of Justin the only other one I recognize is Micky Dolenz of the Monkee's fame. I can remember in junior high that my best friend Terri was so in love with the Monkees. She even wrote their names in pen on the back of her green corduroy jacket which later that day in school someone hocked the biggest lugee on it! Me, I was crazy about Herman Hermits. Ah Peter Noone with his crooked teeth and boyish grin. Mrs. Brown you've got a lovely daughter....
Anyway, I suppose I should know Taylor Dayne, name sounds familiar but couldn't tell you any of her songs and Sheila E, she's another one. When Richard Grieco entered, I'm like he looks familiar but what from? And then they said, "21 Jump Street". I'm like OMG! I so recognize him, but who knew he sang? Recognizing Richard was like attending one's 25 year high school reunion and being unable to recognize the popular quarterback. Richard keeps telling us that he cuts records in Europe and is known there, I'm like why? Maybe he sounds better to Europeans, you know language barrier and all that.
Joining the cast is Tara Conners, Miss America or as she said, Mess America. As she tells it, she's had some identity crisis after she won Miss America and to that I say, Oh boo hoo! And lastly joining the cast in his rainbow dreds is George Clinton, Godfather of funk. Yeah, but does he sing anything else? His puffy face shows a life of hard living, either that or he slept on his face. First stop for the crew is a trip to the Country Hall of Fame in Nashville where everyone is ooooing and ahhhing, except for Tara, who doesn't recognize anyone there. Singing in the rotunda is George Jones, I knew the first name was George! Gosh, I felt like Tara. Next stop is a nightclub, where the cast has to sing their first gig. Everyone is surprised that they will have to sing right there on the spot, especially Tara who looks like a deer caught in the headlights. Here John Rich is on stage, once again larger than life.
First up is Sheila E banging quite effectively on the drums, did she even sing anything? Justin sang well, but still not seeing him country, or as someone said, it's the hair. Micky does his Last Train to Clarksville, one word WOW! Love it! GC sang his funk song (what else?) and Taylor sounded like a white Aretha Franklin. And then there was Tara....Tara, Tara, Tara. What is she thinking? Come on girl get real and get a real job.
All in all it's a cast of cast offs and has beens. Justin what were you thinking signing on to this show? I guess he can't jump start his singing career, but hey, you're great hosting on the TV Guide Channel and Idol chat!-Single D

No comments: