Monday, February 23, 2009

Adventures in Seattle

My husband & I decided to go visit our niece Katie, or as she prefers, Kat who lives in Seattle. As the date approached, I had to ask, remind me why we are going to Seattle in February? Because the tickets are $45.00. Yes, that is a no brainer! $45 bucks anywhere is a bargain these days and not likely to be repeated during tourist season in Seattle or anywhere else for that matter. Anyway, I get there Thursday night expecting rain, wind, locust, everything but sun and low and behold! On Friday morning I was awakened by sunshine! It was still cold but sunny. My feelings about this cold, rainy, damp town were beginning to lift. We were staying downtown at the Hyatt Grand (I highly recommend it) not wanting to impose on two college kids. Our niece came over and gave us the tour of the water front with Pike's Place farmer's market being the focus of our tour. That place is fantastic. Even if you are not a shopper, like me, you will be! Besides being a farmer's market, local artists showcase their wares. It's a little chilly since it's all outdoors but it's so crowded you hardly notice. We were trying to decide where to have lunch but by the time we got through the market we were full from all of the free samples. Cheeses, jams and jellies, fruits and bread, I even tried chocolate pasta. Yes that's right, chocolate pasta. I'm still trying to figure out what kind of sauce you put on something like that.
Later that night, we met Kat at her favorite watering hole, Kells Irish Pub. My husband being Irish was all over that! The singers were terrible but managed to belt out a few good tunes and the beer was flowing. Kat became a VIP and got us all free drinks, go Kat! Before you knew it, two big guys were yelling for everyone to get out! Living in Las Vegas, you tend to forget that other cities have a last call. So it was off to the hotel for us. Kat and her friends had wisely taken a taxi and went off to home. We called her the next morning but she was a little under the weather (she was hanging big time!) and I congratulated myself on having outlasted a 22 year old! I'm not really gloating because I know that probably won't happen again anytime soon.
With Kat not feeling up to playing tour guide, we were on our own. So it was off to the Space Needle. The only thing I wanted to see in Seattle, besides Kat, was Mt. Rainier. Thankfully the weather cooperated for a second day and I was able to see it from the Space Needle. It cost us $30 for the two of us, but I saw the mountain. Never mind that we saw it for free on the shuttle back to the airport, but who knew!?
Seattle was fun. There were still a lot of tourists so I can't even begin to imagine how it is in the summer. I guess everyone else took advantage of the Southwest sale. I highly recommend taking the Underground or the Underworld tours, very interesting. They are the same tour with different stories and the Underworld tour comes with a cocktail, always a plus! The Space Needle was pretty cool too, the telescopes were free and I was able to see the Sleepless in Seattle house. I was hoping to see the bachelor's house, which I'm sure was rented just for the show, but that's a different blog. Thanks Kat, we had a wonderful time! Love you! Aunt Donna (Double D)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, just how cold is cold in Seattle in February???
C