Thursday, January 17, 2008

Project Runway 4-Make me the Avant-Garde

This episode centered on making an avant-garde outfit from inspiration from their model's hair. Their model's hair? The model's hair were quite normal-no hair raising styles, no bride of Frankenstein streak of grey, no Marie Antoinette coif and not a single Wendy's in the bunch. Just a few curls and long sleek locks. One would definitely need some imagination and help. Maybe that's why they were paired, Kit and Ricky, Sweet P and Rami, Chris and Christian (I had to laugh, C & C) and Victorya and Jillian. Chris and Christian looked like the bulldog and the poodle and I loved it when Christian said that if he were a girl his name would be Furouch (as in fierce). If he were a girl? He's more girl than Paris Hilton, especially when he struts his stuff like he's on the catwalk. I'm just jealous I can't walk like that! I think the person that suffered the most was poor Sweet P, having to deal with I am better than thou, Rami (formally known as "my designs don't stink"). I had high hopes for him, but his attitude and single sense of style is getting on my last nerve, plus the fact that none of his designs are wearable, or in other words, who would want to wear them. Rami and Sweet P are totally opposite in personalities, she's lay back and moves like a turtle, he's all tension and tautness. Their outfit was definitely not a collaboration of two, but of one, namely Rami's. There was no drama in Rami-ville. I was glad when Tim announced the surprise twist, that they would also have to create an everyday outfit from inspiration from their avant garde outfit, so that Sweet P had a chance to show off a design of her own. I didn't think she would be able to pull it off in the amount of time, (as evident from her past failings), but her dress was lovely and something I would want to wear.
I wasn't quite understanding Chris and Christian's dress, although I know the origins of it, a throw back to Chris's costume float days and Beach Blanket Bingo theater days. I loved the layers, loved the color, reminded me of some kind of rufflie wedding cake, but what was that shoulder thingy? Could it possibly provide shade for a small child? be a tray to carry drinks? or maybe some kind of ruffled fan? Very strange, but I did love the color.
I don't know how Ricky and Kit came up with their design, did they think their model looked like Little Bo Peep or Scarlett O'Hara, I guess they didn't realize this was not the Oscar for costume design or maybe they didn't know what avant garde means. Unorthodox, unique, daring, radical, how is Bo Peep radical? As Kit and Ricky left the runway after being told by the judges that theirs was one of the worst, I thought Ricky would faint and he looked like he needed help walking as he stumbled his way backstage. But he needn't worry as it was poor Kit, given the auf by the judges because of her too innocent interpretation of the avant garde.
My favorite design by far was Jillian's and Victorya's. That outfit was simply amazing! Beautiful and edgy. I didn't think those two would work well together, but there was no diva in the word team this time. It looked like they would not have enough time to finish their work, but as Jillian said "team last minute" pulled it off. Good for them, maybe they should consider opening a boutique together?
In the end, the winner of the challenge were Chris & Christian, because they really embodied the words avant garde-a daring, radical, experimental treatment of the artistic and that we know is where Chris really shines!-Single D
I too thought there was a lot missing as far as the hair went. The designers had two models to choose from and the only hair style you could really call way out was the bird nest looking do, which wasn't used, the rest looked pretty tame. At first I thought, no! not teams again but everyone worked well together except Sweet P and Rami. I really didn't expect Jillian and Victorya to get along, it should have been the clash of the designing divas and it was a little tense at first but Jillian came up with the let's flip a coin thing and all was right in the design room. Then you have Chris & Christian or Fred Flintstone and his pet poodle. Those two are a riot! I still say Christian wants to be the one on the runway. He was actually pretty good "modeling" around the design room.
Poor Sweet P having to put up with Rami. He wouldn't listen to her about anything. She was trying to tell him to put a bustle on the dress but he wasn't having any of it. Thank goodness he let her alone to do the dress, it was very cute. I used to like Rami, but after seeing how he treated Sweet P and acted like his stuff didn't stink, I was secretly hoping he would lose. Like Heidi said, can he do something other than draping? That queen needs to get off his throne!
Victorya & Jillian worked pretty good together except they were slow. I would have voted them to win with that outfit. It had that futuristic quality about it and it matched the model's hair perfectly. Jillian thought she had a bust on her hands with the everyday dress but it came out really cute too. Victorya actually kept her ego in check this time, I think because she knew Jillian can create!
Then we have Chris & Christian. Chris came through with his parade float dress as I knew he would! Christian was having fun playing with the ruffles. Tim was worried about their everyday look, but Christian stuck by it and he "made it work"! Good going team Fierce! Chris has come a long way after being Auf'ed. I'm glad he's back, he makes me laugh!
Double D

No comments: