Wednesday, April 23, 2008

American Idol-Andrew Lloyd Webber

I love the music of Andrew Lloyd Webber, especially the "Phantom of the Opera", but those songs are so huge and can the idoltestants sing such big songs? Syesha sang "One Rock and Roll too Many". Ok I have never heard that song and it is probably best left on the Broadway stage. I must say that this is definitely Syesha's element and looks like she should be Broadway bound. I can so see her in a Broadway play-hey Oprah-how about casting her in "The Color Purple"?
Dreadlock Jason singing "Memories" was simply awful. Who can beat Streisand's version of it. Jason needs to go, his singing is just too weak and go cut your hair please! Brooke White is so cute, but her false start with "You Must Love Me" got away from her when she forgot the beginning lyric. Kinda of awkward there. David Archuleta sang another song I didn't recognize and gave it a very contemporary spin. As the camera pans to his family, there was David's dad sitting all proud like. Does he know that there are stories out there about how he is the stage dad from H.... ! Makes me think he was the one that pushed David's singing to the brink of ruining his vocal chord during the "Star Search" thing. Bad Dad! Now go home and leave David alone, he will be a star without your meddling!
Carly sang the perfect "Jesus Christ, SuperStar" and her voice is definitely big enough to carry it and she looked great in that outfit. All this season, I have not been a fan of David Cook. Every theme week, he takes a song and retools it to the unrecognizable. Last week I was saying to my husband, why can't the guy just sing the song. His reworking of every song is in my opinion arrogant and narcissistic, but this week, I was pleasantly surprised when he sang "Music of the Night". He did nothing but just plain sing and it was really really good. I was amazed at his voice. See David, you don't always have to dress up a song to make it sound good. Maybe it will be a voice off between the two Davids. Meanwhile, I'm thinking either Brooke or Jason needs to leave tonight. Sorry guys, maybe you two should team up?
Elimination night, another shocker as Carly, one of the strongest voices of the group graciously takes her exit. I still can't believe that neither Jason or Brooke were in the bottom two and managed to survive another week.-Single D

No comments: