Thursday, October 23, 2008

Top Design-Honorable Mentions

I don't know why I am not blogging Top Design. One of my three favorite things to do is design, cook and travel. So why not Top Design? I started watching Top Design because it followed on the sassy high heels of Project Runway. I was thinking just another knock off of HGTV Design Star and I love that show, although I thought this season was pretty lame. I think I actually like Top Design better, oh hush! A few honorable mentions here. First there's designer to Martha Stewart, in all his girlish glory, Eddie. He reminds me of the kid on the playground you would push off the slide just for kicks. He'd go running to the nearest teacher and tattle tale, nose dripping with snot and blood. And can he be more humble? The guy thinks he God's gift to simply everything, "I do it all", design, cook, stage, stumble and fall. I'm wondering what Martha's thinking when she sees her editor in chief say, gee I don't know what you mean, I'm great! Then there was Wisit. What kind of name is Wisit? He reminded me of a Chinese concubine, an operatic Madame Butterfly flitting here and flitting there, uttering rococo this and rococo that. What exactly is rococo? Next there's Nathan. Bald, sour, worm like. Sometimes the camera light accents his deep eye bag, only one though, so that he looks like some kind of weird psycho person, but my best bet for winning this whole thing. Blatant raw talent. The person I liked the best right from the beginning was Andrea, wife of Ricky Schroeder. She just seems so down to earth and ordinary. She has those sleepy bedroom eyes that seem so sweet and innocent. No effectual airs about being married to an actor and not a diva bone in her body. I think her lack of professional experience pitted against the likes of Eddie and Nathan was just too intimidating for her and she actually asked to leave the show last night. When the judges told her that she was not the one out this week and did she still want to leave the show, I think she suffered a moment of why did I open my mouth. But because she is a nice person and it would be plain jane, Ondine to leave, she knew she couldn't back down now. Too bad she didn't reign in her insecurity at least until the judging because she would have made it to the final four and be the last woman standing, which would have been a huge accomplishment on her part. Now I guess it's back to Hollywood, the kids, the Hollywood lifestyle and hiring designers, after all, I'm sure she can afford it.
One mention about the judges here. Jonathan Adler, iconic potter extraordinaire. Who has a title like that? I think might refer to myself as Single D, blogger, mother extraordinaire. Doesn't his face convey it all? He has a mother face, it gets all screwed up when he doesn't like something. You so totally know when he finds a design repulsive and for him, if it's not genius then it's repulsive. Margaret Russell looks like the b!!ch from Hell. Oh boy, would not want to meet her in a dark alley, she's just plain scary. I do like India Hicks but what is she famous for again? And that Kelly Wearstler, I know she's some kind of designer, but does that give her license to wear the quirkiest hats in the universe? My favorite Tim Gunn of this show is Todd Oldman, Oldham. He just seems so nice and has a voice that would calm down a pack of pitbulls. He so knowledgeable and gives kind words of encouragement, unlike Adler's looks of "oh my why did you do that"? -Single D

No comments: