Sunday, June 28, 2009

Doubt-DVD Movie Review

I love any movie that has the great Meryl Streep in it, especially one that has Meryl donning a nun's outfit. Being a lapse Catholic, I secretly love all things Roman Catholic, from "Thorn Birds" to "Sister Act". Any movie with religious undertones pique my interest and so I waited anxiously for "Doubt" to make it's way into Blockbuster. I rushed in for several weeks only to find that it was out, gee must be a really good movie since it's such in demand. Finally, several weeks later there it was on the shelf! Victory! I take it home, plan the weekend around it. Don't bother me, I'll be watching videos this weekend! With the lights out, popcorn popped and water glass filled with ice, I sit. My daughter is in the other room, watching "Bunny House", I hear her laughing. Meryl plays the part of the sour nun perfectly and is the stereotypical nun I remembered from the days that my poor brother had to attend parochial school. Nuns that would whack knuckles at any laughter that ensued in class. Commit this to memory, there will be no laughter in class!
As the movie tried in all earnest to gain one's attention, I kept waiting for something to happen. I kept waiting for the critical scene, I kept waiting for something interesting to happen. I waited and waited and hoped with the outstanding supporting cast of Amy Adams and Seymour Hoffman surely it had to get better. It had to have more intrigue and suspense. But I was wrong. Sure in the end, there was that kernel of "Doubt", but was it enough to base an entire movie around? I think not. Meryl was superior in her restrained role, Amy great as the novice nun, and Seymour outstanding as the priest accused. But what really happened? Apparently not much. Sure, this coming off the Catholic priest scandal, we are supposed to assume something did transpire, but an entire movie based on conjecture and speculation? I guess that's where the name"Doubt" comes into play. Well, I doubt if I'll put this right up there with "The Exorcist" or "The Seventh Sign". I think Meryl should hang up her habit and that accent that wavered between Bostonian and Southern. No doubt you will not be missing a thing if you pass this one over. I should have watched "The Bunny House" with my daughter, no doubt there would have been a lot of laughter!-Single D

No comments: