Wednesday, August 12, 2009

European Summer Vacation Part 3

In the previous post were the things I hate about traveling and being in Europe, but there are a few things that I absolutely love, that when I come home after bemoaning that I hate being there, that I'm always tired, that my feet hurt and that I'm spending way too much money, somehow the trip becomes romanticized in my mind and I forget all the trouble it is to travel. Curious, it's like birthing a child or so I've heard, you never remember the pain, you only remember the good stuff as one gazes fondly at the vacation pictures, well that's what traveling in Europe is like. My favorite city this trip, London. I have been there many times and London just keeps getting better and better. I can remember when we first went there many years ago when it was a foodie waste land. Now great food can be had at the pubs and even at Gatwick-eat the fish n chips at the food place on the second level. I love the thought of high tea, all those scones and cakes, yum! My memory failed me this time, in that I thought Fortnum and Mason was right across the street from my favorite department store, Harrod's but it is actually in Green Park. This time we had tea at the Richleoux. It was a nice break for my feets. Tea and scones with Devonshire cream, heavenly. I love the Dutch double salty licorice. Ya I know, my mother liked licorice and I like licorice, the saltier the better. I love the European architecture, the magnificent cathedrals, the quaint towns, the sidewalk cafes, and the great coffee. I love the chocolate, pastries, cookies along with the fantastic cheese and meat stores. Yup, I'm a foodie. I love the breakfast buffet that comes with the hotel rooms. I love how you can be in one country in the morning and by lunch in another. I love how on the tube there is a guy playing his accordion or how one can be shopping and all of a sudden the sound of the most beautiful church bells will ring. But mostly, I love how I feel when I get home after an exhausting trip, grateful to live in America, it's a privilege that we take for granted each and every day. God Bless America!-Single D

No comments: