Monday, January 21, 2008

Amazing Race-North to Alaska and the Finish Line

And the winner is TK and Rachel! Ok, I concede, they probably could use the money and in the end they turned out to be a force to be reckoned with. On this final leg of the race, the three teams left standing, Christina and father Ron, Nick and Gramps, and TK and Rachel leave for Anchorage Alaska. Right off the bat, Nick and Gramps make a huge mistake by not reading the clue completely and left their gear at the sporting goods store. When they reached their next destination, they realized they did not have their gear. Gramps immediately got on Nick for not reading the clue completely, hey Gramps, Nick carries your pack, at least you should read the clue also! I love it that the two challenges were Grab the Crab and Cut the Cod. The next time someone lets out gas, I'm going to say, who cut the cod, Who Cut the COD???
Speaking of cutting cod, it was amazing that Christina found the tiny capsule clue amongst all that fish guts. First off, I didn't think cod could grow that big and what was in that cod's stomach?-it didn't look like something a fish would eat, it looked like digested rolls of plastic.
Father Ron said a smart thing when he chose the cod over the crab, because he said that they would have pincher's and this we see when TK and Rachel tried to grab the crab. One word-ouch! Luckily for Rachel, TK pulled the right one out.
Back at the cod cutting tables, Gramps was good at cutting the cod open and I had to laugh when he told Nick to look for the clue in the fish guts and Nick said "with my hands??" uh da!
The next time I go to Alaska, I want to go on one of those high speed boat rides, that looked so awesome! I thought for sure, Christina was not going to make it up that shear ice cliff. We women lack in upper body strength, this I know, I'm such a weakling. Father Ron made good time surprisingly up that cliff, as well as all the others even Gramps. All I could say is come on Christina, pull yourself up-this is for the million dollars after all!
The final road block was very complicated with all the elements of every leg of the race put on a platform to win the final clue. I thought for sure, our Princeton educated Christina could pull it off, but then she starts to second guess herself and praying-praying! Come on, use that $100,000 education and THINK! She only had one wrong, when she started pulling items off the platform and getting behind. And then there was Nick, the big Goofy, lumbering his way. I thought if he manages to do this, I would laugh my head off. However, I knew when Rachel said, let me do it, I can do it, that they were probably going to win. They have been the surprise team of the season and their competitor spirit finally surfaces in the end. It was by luck and a dreadlock hair that they squeaked by Ron and Christina. Christina said at the end, that they took away much more than a million dollars, for me, I would have like the million dollars, I could always pay for family therapy.
And to the winners, TK and Rachel goes the spoils, in this case a million dollars. Now maybe TK and Rachel can go buy some shampoo, some new clothes and that VW van and somewhere out there "Cat's in the Cradle" is playing.-Single D
On to Anchorage! I hear it's really pretty there, but I can't get past the fact that it is Alaska and cold! They were obviously there in the summer and it still looked cold. I was hoping for a action packed photo finish to this one and was immediately disappointed when Nick & gramps blew the first clue by not getting their gear. Then TK & Rachel keep getting bad taxi drivers which finally makes a normally laid back TK lose his cool. OK, so now we know it can happen! Father Ron & Christina charge ahead with a huge lead and it was left to see who would come in second.
After retrieving their gear, gramps proved he was pretty handy with a knife gutting the cod and Nick proved he was a big sissy for not looking through the guts. Come on Nick, the least you could do is prod around in fish innards for a chance at a cool mil! TK & Rachel decide they would rather get pinched by crabs than look through fish guts. Just as they had had enough of the pinching, TK finds the lucky crab and they jump ahead of Nick & gramps (what is his name anyway?). All is not good in hippyville as TK & Rachel get another lost taxi driver. TK mentions that it was easier to communicate with the taxi drivers in India.
That boat ride did look like fun, I've always wanted to see a moose. At the glacier, father Ron scrambled right up that ice! I guess the fear of falling into that cold water would get me up there pretty quick too. Gramps climbed right up also making Nick look like a slacker.
The last challenge was to assemble items they used along the race. Who remembers this stuff? I really thought Christina would get it first and fast, but it was Rachel who pulled it out and got them the million dollars. Kudos to father Ron who has made an amazing turn around and finally appreciates his daughter. And congrats to gramps (Don, and you didn't think I knew his name) for being the oldest person to finish the Amazing Race! TK & Rachel can now afford a hairbrush, Ron & Christina have mended fences and Nick & Don have taught each other a thing or two. This race had an impact on everyone involved, for the better! Can't wait to see what happens in the next Amazing Race! Double D

No comments: