Wednesday, March 26, 2008

American Idol-Birth Year Songs

Another week and I missed the first 5 minutes of the show, so I didn't know what the musical theme of the evening was. It wasn't until about the 7th singer that I finally put it together and why they were talking about the year they were born. Sure makes me feel old! I definitely couldn't see a connection with the musical choices between the contestants. Let's face it, from that odd song choice of David Archuleta, what was that? It sounded like a Christian song. Now don't get me wrong, alot of Christian music sounds great, but why did he pick a song no one knew or could identify with? I guess I have to give him some benefit because being born in the year 1990, yikes he really is young, can you remember one song from that year? Either way, he did an awesome job of it. The best of the evening was and I hate to admit it was David Cook. His translation of Billy Jean was incredible, no Michael Jackson in there. Who knew it could be sung that way? He's either really talented or really smart. I can't really say that there was one singer that was the worst one of the evening, as they are improving with each week and finding their own musical stylings, but I think Kristie Lee Cook and sorry, Ramiele are the weakest contestants. I don't see any star quality about them. There's no WOW, no awesome, no wanting to hear more, sorry girls. Dreadlock Jason is just so low key, will someone give him some caffeine please! Among the best girl vocals so far are Syesha, she reminds me of a young Whitney Houston, pre druggie days and Carly. That last note of her song was awful, but I think with more coaching and training she will be an incredible singer. Michael Johns is so cute, but his song choice, "We Are the Champions" reminds me of Chicken Little singing into his spoon in his bedroom. I will never be able to listen to that song again without that picture in my mind! Brooke White looks so much better with straight hair. Don't change it! But I still don't think you have Idol star power. At this time, I think it's between David, David and Carly to win it. -Single D

No comments: