Friday, October 10, 2008

What No Halloween?

Last year when my daughter said that she might not want to go Trick or Treating, I ignored this statement thinking what does a 9 year old know of making memories that will last a lifetime? This year, she is making this statement with more veracity and frequency so much so, that this time I had to squash that thought once and for all. What no Halloween I said? No, maybe I'll give candy this year, she said. What? You'll have an entire decades to give candy once you hit teendom I counter. But I don't like Halloween she says! What! What kid doesn't like Halloween? What's not to like? The one time of year when your parents let you dress up in crazy outfits, gives in to that red glitter hair spray and black nail polish, and lets you eat all the candy you want? But I don't like the spookiness of it all, she whines! Get tough I counter! All this while I fondly reminisce of Halloweens past. At our house, we always eat a dinner that is quick to prepare and quick to stuff down so we can be out the door before the first trick or treaters ring our bell. We always look for the crowds of kids so our daughter and her friends will have a gang to run with. We always insist on going to each and every house that have decorations or lights. We always carry extra plastic grocery bags should her bag get too heavy with candy, which is a sure indication that we are in the money! And we always, always go to every adjacent neighborhood near our house, never quite happy until we have filled our bags brimming with candy, even if our dogs (feet) hurt! When we come home, exhausted with the delirium of collecting sweets, we empty our booty on the dining room table and do the candy selection. This time honored tradition I'm sure is played out in every house across America. A careful process of selecting which candies we like the best, throwing out the hard cheap stuff and piling our treasures in our respective piles. Madison likes Snickers and Milky Ways. Andy likes anything chocolate and me I like laffy taffy in any flavor except grape. My daughter says that grape is the most disgusting flavor in the universe. So when my daughter says, no trick or treating this year, we say, not in your life! Where else can I get to wear my pink wig, daddy his skeleton shirt and eat free candy till Easter!-Single D

No comments: